Popularly known as diabetes, hyperglycemia is a high blood sugar level condition, which is quite common among people nowadays. It happens when insulin levels in the blood are increased. However, diabetes can occur due to internal as well as external factors.
Internally it occurs when your liver produces excessive glucose, your body doesn’t produce much, or your body fails to use insulin effectively. Other factors include a poor lifestyle and bad eating and sleeping habits.
In this article, we will talk about various solutions to control diabetes levels. We’ll also address the most frequently asked question: ‘My blood sugar is 250, what should I do?’
What Do You Understand About Diabetes?
Diabetes, as a chronic illness, results when your blood glucose level increases drastically. Blood sugar is the main source of energy for the body. The body generates blood sugar from the food you eat. However, when insulin – which is a hormone secreted by the pancreas – fails to transport glucose from the food to the body cells, then the glucose stays in your blood and results in the long-term disease of diabetes.
What Should You Do When Your Blood Sugar Level Gets High?
This is one of the common concerns of diabetic people worldwide: ‘My blood sugar is 250, what should I do?’. The following facts need to be acknowledged to answer the above-mentioned frequent question: People with type 1 diabetes develop a high risk of forming ketones (an alternative fuel produced when insulin is low). If your sugar level is equal to or more than 250 mg/dL, there is a high risk of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Following are six ways that will help you keep your blood sugar levels under control:
6 Ways to Control Your Blood Sugar Levels Effectively
- Plan Your Diet Effectively: Healthy eating and planning your diet is as efficacious as taking a fresh breath of air. If you have diabetes, it is vital to know how food affects your blood sugar level and what you should eat or not when your blood sugar level boosts up after examining it using a diabetes machine.
- Make sure every meal you take is well-balanced with enough nutrition, proteins and fats
- Plan your food with medicines according to your blood sugar level
- Do a diabetes management program by learning about carbohydrates and their needed proportion size.
- Control Your Stress Level: Diabetes and stress don’t go hand in hand, especially when you are stuck in a situation and ask the same question repeatedly ‘My blood sugar is 250, what should I do?’. And when your body produces excess hormones due to an enhanced level of stress while causing your blood sugar level to rise. Thus in the conditions mentioned above, it is better to
- monitor the patterns of your stress by closely examining your day-to-day routine,
- control it by including yoga and meditation in your life and
- get help from a psychologist if you feel more stressed than usual.
- Avoid Alcohol: Alcohol works as a poison if you have a diabetic problem. When your liver gets engulfed in digesting alcohol, your blood sugar doesn’t get enough attention as required, leading to a high risk of nerve damage and eye infection along with several repercussions of liver damage while affecting your lifestyle exasperatedly. Thus, it is advised that if, in any case, you are consuming alcohol and can’t resist yourself, then you need to focus on the following:
- Consult your doctor about your usual intake of alcohol
- Say no to drinking alcohol on an empty stomach
- Monitor you calories and undergo regular checkups at RMN BUCURESTI.
- Examine your blood sugar level before sleep using a diabetes machine.
- Get help to achieve sobriety like the treatment called Medication Assisted Treatment which combines psychotherapy or counseling with certain medications.
- Adapt Physical Activities: Physical activities are important for your health to stay fit and work effectively to let you fight diabetes or the presence of high sugar levels in your blood like a pro!
When you exercise as physical activity, your muscles use glucose effectively to enhance energy in your body. Hence, you can do the following:
- You can plan the type of exercise – ranging from easy to moderate levels. Find a personal trainer who uses software for fitness centers and book your schedule with them. This way, you’ll be guided with proper exercises that will be beneficial for you.
- Avoid intensive exercising whenever you feel anxious, tired, hungry or weak.
- Examine your blood sugar level with a diabetes machine before and after you do physical activities.
- Get Enough Sleep: Getting adequate sleep when you suffer from an injurious illness helps reduce the excessive amount of sugar in the blood. Lack of proper sleep can drastically affect your insulin resistance while igniting your body’s high blood sugar level. Hence, to maintain your diabetes remarkably, it is advised to have a sound sleep cycle and check your sugar level using a diabetes machine.
- Remain Hydrated: Remaining hydrated throughout your life is essential to living a healthy lifestyle while lowering the blood sugar level in your body. Drinking enough water supports the kidneys in removing sugar from the body through urine. Remember that consuming fluids doesn’t mean that you can drink sugary beverages.
Maintaining a normal blood sugar level while suffering from diabetes is a serious complication, especially when you suffer from prolonged illnesses, such as obesity. However, to improve your health, it is advised to scrutinise your sugar level often using a diabetes machine, while making certain alterations to your lifestyle so that you can live a joyful, healthy and long life.