Whether you are hiring a painting company or are planning to paint your house by yourself, it would be important to be aware and knowledgeable about the different nuanced aspects of how this process works. This will help you plan better, catch mistakes, prepare for obstacles, and also enjoy the process as you would know what would come next. If you are thinking about why you should know about this avenue when you don’t have to do the job yourself, the answer is simple – because it is your home, your dream project, and therefore, it would be great to know what you are getting into. Many contractors and online websites have made the job easier by providing certain tools like the Asian Paints calculator, waterproof calculator, color visualizer, etc
Interior and exterior painting- The two major categories of painting would be interior and exterior paint. Depending on which walls you are looking to spruce up, you will require different painting materials, paint shades, raw materials, putty, etc. Not only will the products vary, but you will also have to understand and take a look at the quantities of the products in use. The interior painting would naturally be easier and more fun as compared to the exteriors. This is because you can get creative with the process and choose how you would like the rooms to look.
Waterproofing – People often discount the need for waterproofing in their houses. Essentially, especially after the first rains, people realize how important it would be to waterproof their houses. Ensure to include all the different types of waterproofing for your house like terrace and basement waterproofing, kitchen and bathroom waterproofing, roof waterproofing, etc. Water-related damage can create havoc on the walls and the fresh paints that you have coated on them. Leakage, seepage, and other water-based issues can destroy the whole look of the room as you will have to re-do the work.
Type of paints – Oil-based and water-based paints are available in the market in different brands. Water-based or latex paints are more commonly used for the house as they are environmentally friendly and are easily cleanable. Additionally, they also dry fast and are available in different colors. Oil-based paints are also easy to scrub and have a higher sheen. They are more durable than latex paints. These days, the varieties available in oil-based paints are moisture-resistant and are regularly used in not just the ‘wet’ areas of the house but also in regular rooms.
Paint sheen – While selecting the paints, you can also take into account the type of paint sheen in question. This refers to how the surface would look once the paint is dry. 5 types of sheens are available –
- Flat/ matte – This type hides the imperfections in the walls and has the least amount of sheen. Since it is not very washable, the paint may come off easily. This can be used in the ceilings
- Eggshell – This has a moderate amount of sheen and can also hide imperfections. Additionally, it is also fairly washable and can be used for the living rooms and bedrooms.
- Satin – Slightly more enhanced about glossiness, this paint type looks great on the walls.
- Semi-gloss – Highly used in areas like kitchens, bathrooms, etc, this type has a higher level of washability and is also better in terms of moisture resistance.
- Hi-gloss – Owing to the tough nature of this paint, you can use this on doors, cabinets, etc. It reflects light making the elements pop with color.
These are a few of the important points that you need to keep in mind before painting or hiring someone to paint your house. Adding to your base of knowledge about a process that will give you your dreams is always beneficial. Knowing about the paints, materials, contractors, prices, and budget will always come in handy.